Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The Unforgettable Season by Phil Bildner


Author: Phil Bildner
Illustrator: S.D. Schindler
Genre: Non-Fiction/Biography
Awards: Bank Street CBC Best Children's Book of the Year (2012), Pennsylvania Young Reader's Choice Award Nominee (2013)
Grade(s): 2nd-5th

Summary: This book is about the record setting baseball season of 1941 when Joe DiMaggio had a hit for fifty-six games in a row and Ted Williams hit a batting average of .406. This book is wonderfully illustrated is is very exciting to read how these two amazing baseball players set records that no one thought was possible. It details how each player got to where they did and how the world responded to their record breaking.

My Thoughts: I loved reading this book because I am a huge baseball fan. Although it is not about the Houston Astros, it is about baseball, which is still exciting to read about. My dad often talks about Joe DiMaggio so it was also interesting for me to read about his milestones. I would be able to use this book in my classroom for research purposes as well as reaching my baseball loving readers. However, like me, my Children's Literature professor, Dr. Giles, would agree that the Astros are still much better. I still can't wait to add this to my classroom library. Hopefully, I will soon be able to add a similar book about our record setting Astros!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to put this on my TBR list, or maybe my TB (To buy) list.

    ReplyDelete