Wednesday, November 8, 2017

A Halloween Scare in Texas by Eric James


Author: Eric James
Illustrator: Marina Le Rey
Genre: Fantasy
Awards: None
Grade(s): Pre-K - 2nd 

Summary: This book is about a little boy who was scared to go out on Halloween night because of all of the monsters, goblins, ghosts, and vampires that are roaming about on the streets of Texas. In a rhyming fashion, the boy describes how the creatures are roaming about and how its terrifying to him. Then, while the boy was hiding out in his house, he hears a noise downstairs and decides to check it out. When he gets downstairs, he sees the monsters having their Halloween ball. He notices one big monster that stands out and sees that the monster is coming for him. He pleads with the monster not to eat him, but instead the monster wrapped him up in a big monster cuddle. The monster gave him a prize for having the best and scariest costume of all, being a child. After this, the little boy decided to have fun with the monsters at their ball because he isn't scared of them anymore. He realizes that he scares them more than they scare him.

My Thoughts: I think this book will be a cute addition to my classroom library as I can use it for a fun Halloween themed reading. This book also offers students with a lot of familiarity as it talks about Texas and different parts of Texas. We all know that stories that incorporate students' real lives are always a winner. Also, this entire book rhymes so I would definitely incorporate it into rhyming lessons. I definitely feel like if Halloween came much later than my rhyming lesson, I would be able to activate my students' prior knowledge and lessons to reiterate what rhyming is and how they know the book rhymes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment