Tuesday, November 21, 2017

John Henry by Ezra Jack Keats


Author: Ezra Jack Keats
Illustrator: Ezra Jack Keats
Genre: Historical Fiction
Awards: None
Grade(s): 1st-4th

Summary: This story is set during the times of when the railroads were being built. This is the story of John Henry who was a man who worked very hard and proved his strength and hard work when he was tested against a machine. Machines were becoming something that people feared because they feared it would replace their jobs. However, John Henry proved that he could beat any machine because he had the power of himself and his strength. John Henry proved this when the machine had ended up dying, but he powered on and made it through the tunnel. When other people saw this, they were happy that the power of man had still won. When John Henry had made it through the tunnel, that was his last step. He had died with the hammer in his hand and the proof that any man was better than a machine. 

My Thoughts: I could see myself using this in my classroom during a lesson of the times of the railroad building and the coming up of machines. I would have my students compare and share their opinions on which type of work is better and why, manpower or machine. Although this wasn't one of my favorite stories, I still think it shares a good lesson and it will be something I can use in my future library.

No comments:

Post a Comment