Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Our Texas by Jackie Mims Hopkins


Author: Jackie Mims Hopkins
Illustrator: Craig J. Spearing
Genre: Nonfiction
Awards: None
Grade(s): K-2nd

Summary: This book details important facts about Texas. On each page, the author talks about a major part of Texas and certain facts that make it important. Our Texas also lists all of our state symbols from the state gemstone, to the state bird, to the state dish. At the end of the book, the author re-lists all of the cities she had used throughout the book and goes into further detail about the things she mentioned previously. 

My Thoughts: I love this book and will definitely use it in the lessons I teach about Texas. It also rhymes which I could use in a rhyming cross lesson. Additionally, I feel like I could use this book to open up lessons on certain history lessons over major things that happened in Texas. For example, it talks about how San Antonio is famous for the Alamo and then in the back of the book, it goes into more detail about the battle of the Alamo. So, I would be able to use this part of the book to open a lesson I teach over the Battle of the Alamo. I can't wait to add this to my classroom library!!

No comments:

Post a Comment