Monday, December 11, 2017

The Battle of the Alamo by Kerri O'Hern and Janet Riehecky


Authors: Kerri O'Hern and Janet Riehecky 
Illustrator: D. McHargue
Genre: Non-Fiction, Graphic Novel
Awards: None
Grade(s): 1st-5th

Summary: This book is a graphic novel that tells the historical story of the Battle of the Alamo. It starts with how Native Americans lived on the land that would later be fought for by the Mexicans and Texans. It continues its timeline explaining how the Mexicans began to build missions throughout San Antonio and one of the missions they built was later closed and used as a military fort and named "The Alamo." Mexico's government desperately wanted to settle land in Texas, making it their own. However, the Texans were not going to let that happen without a fight. This book details important landmarks and historical events leading up to, during, and after the Battle of the Alamo. 

My Thoughts: If you know anything about me, you would know that history is my least favorite subject. However, I know that there are many history lessons ahead of me during my years of teaching. I enjoyed this book because I felt that it offered an engaging way to learn something that I otherwise would not enjoy reading about through its graphic novel qualities. I will definitely use this book to read to my class during a lesson over the Alamo and hope to gain their interest using the brightly colored pages and storyline of this book. I hope to add more books like this to my library!!

No comments:

Post a Comment