Monday, December 11, 2017

Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear by Lindsay Mattick


Author: Lindsay Mattick
Illustrator: Sophie Blackall
Genre: Non-fiction
Awards: Caldecott Medal (2016), New York Public Library's 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing (2015), ALA Notable Children's Book (2016), Bank Street CBC Best Children's Book of the Year (2016), CCBC Choices (2016), A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book (2015), NCSS/CBC Notable Social Studies Trade Book for Young People (2016)
Grade(s): K-4th

Summary: Finding Winnie is a true story about a man who was a veterinarian that was being sent off to care for the sick animals of World War I. This man happened to come across a live bear cub at a train station that a man had captured. Knowing that he shouldn't, he still could not leave the bear behind knowing it would be killed. He had felt something special about that bear. So instead, he had bought the bear for $20 and it came along with him and the troops. Despite protests from the commanding officers, the man showed them what a special bear it was. The man named the bear "Winnie" after their hometown, Winnipeg, so they would all feel like a little piece of home was with them. Eventually, the bear was trained and it was actually able to help the men during the war by sniffing out bombs and intruders. Later, the bear had to be given to a zoo since he had gotten so big, they could no longer take him along. Years later, a little boy had been given a stuffed bear, but didn't know what to name it. His father had taken him to that zoo and the boy had, had a connection with Winnie, so he decided to name his stuffed bear "Winnie the Pooh." Winnie and the boy had a very strong connection and the boy was actually able to go and mingle with Winnie at the zoo. The boy's name was Christopher Robin Milne and his father was named Alan Alexander Milne. Alan Alexander Milne went on to create "The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh." The man who had originally bought Winnie came back from war and saw how happy Winnie was in his new home. He returned home and started a family of his own. The family ended up being the author's own. The book ends will real photos of the author and her family tree, as well as photos of Winnie the bear.

My Thoughts: Out of all of the books I have read, this has to be my all-time favorite. If you know anything about me, you would know that I grew up with more of an unhealthy love for Winnie the Pooh and it wasn't until I had read this book did I realize the true story behind everything. I love that the author decided to publish this book as I feel it makes a great story that should be shared again and again. Although my students may be a little bit too young to know about Winnie the Pooh, I will definitely share this story with them as I feel it really showcases a small wonder of this world. I may also use this book to have my students write their own story about something that has been passed down in their family. This book will always be on my bookshelf!!

No comments:

Post a Comment