Monday, December 11, 2017

Rude Ramsay and the Roaring Radishes by Margaret Atwood


Author: Margaret Atwood
Illustrator: Dušan Petričić
Read By: Margaret Atwood
Genre: Fantasy
Awards: None
Grade(s): 1st-4th

Summary: This book is a book of alliterations of the letter "R." Ramsay decides he is sick of living in his "ramshackle rectangular residence" and decides he needs to find something more. He ventures out with his friend rat and together they begin to explore life outside of eating horrible things for dinner and being tormented by his brothers. Eventually, adventure shows Ramsay and his rat friend to another realm: a huge garden with a river. Ramsay was so happy to have found a garden full of food because he was so hungry!! However, when Ramsay tried to eat a fresh radish, all of the radishes came to life and began roaring at him that he was a thief who was trying to steal from their garden. Then Ramsay met a girl named Rillah who ended up being rich. Although she was from a rich family, she still longed to be with Ramsay in his ramshackle residence. The two of them decided to go back to Ramsay's house and they ended up falling in love. Ramsay, Rillah, and their pet rat lived happily under a rainbow.

My Thoughts: I liked that I could use this book during an alliteration lesson, but I found it very difficult and frustrating to get through. As ridiculous as it sounds, it was hard for me to keep up with the constant alliteration of "R" and many words were difficult to decode. I would read this book in my younger classes to explain alliteration and to get a laugh. In my older elementary classes, I would read this book to help with alliteration and vocabulary as this book introduces quite a few new words. This book is also an audio book, so since it is difficult for me to get through myself, I would probably, most definitely use the audio CD provided. 😜

No comments:

Post a Comment