Monday, December 11, 2017

The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat


Author: Dan Santat
Illustrator: Dan Santat
Genre: Fantasy
Awards: Caldecott Medal (2015), ALA Notable Children's Book (2015), Blue Hen Book Award Nominee (2016), Bank Street CBC Best Children's Book of the Year (2015), Wisconsin Golden Archer Award Nominee (2016), Wisconsin Battle of the Books List (2016)
Grade(s): 1st-3rd

Summary: Beekle is an unimaginary friend who lives in a world with other unimaginary friends waiting to be dreamt by a child of his own. In this world, unimaginary friends live together until a child dreams them up and they leave to go and live with their child. However, Beekle was not being dreamt and it made him very sad. Then, he ended up doing the unimaginable. He decided to go and find his child all on his own. When he got into the real world, he noticed that it really wasn't all that he thought it would be, but he ended up seeing one of his other unimaginary friends. He followed that friend until he decided to climb a tree and look for his child. Eventually a girl had come and saw him!! Although it was awkward at first, they ended up becoming best friends. Then they did the unimaginable together. They took other children to the unimaginary world to meet all of the other unimaginary friends who were looking for their child.

My Thoughts: I loved this book as I feel it brings out an ultimate sense of imagination. It dives deep into the world of the way children think and it brings to life imaginary friends, a concept we all know to be true. I would use this book in my classroom to spark creativity and imagination as my students may be going through the imaginary friend phase themselves. I feel it really represents how real many children feel about their imaginary friends. I definitely see myself reading this book to my students for years to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment