Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Three Billy Goats Gruff Retold By Ronne Randall


Author: Ronne Randall
Illustrator: Gavin Scott
Genre: Traditional Literature
Awards: None
Grade(s): K-1

Summary: In this classic tale, three billy goat brothers are eating grass on the side of a hill. One day, they run out of good grass to eat, but they notice that there is more grass on the other side of the river. However, there is a big, nasty troll that lives under the bridge that they need to cross to get to the other side of the river. They seem frightened, but the smallest billy goat decides he is going to cross over first. As he is going over, the troll confronts him and threatens to eat him. The smallest billy goat convinces the troll to wait for his brother who is bigger and fatter. The troll agrees and allows the smallest billy goat to cross over to the other side. When the middle billy goat tries to cross over, the troll, again, stops him threatening to eat him. As before, the middle billy goat convinces the troll to wait for his bigger brother who is the biggest and fattest billy goat of them all. The troll agrees and allows the middle billy goat to pass. When the biggest billy goat tries to pass over, the troll stops him and threatens to eat him. However, the biggest billy goat was not frightened and he stood his ground. The biggest billy goat used his horns to throw the troll off of the bridge and into the river. The troll was never seen again.

My Thoughts: The Three Billy Goats Gruff has been one of my favorite stories since I was a little girl. I will definitely include this book in my classroom library in hopes of inspiring my students to enjoy it as I have. Additionally, I would use this book to read to my students using different voices for each size billy goat, and encouraging my students to do the same to make predictions about what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment